Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pamamanhikan

January 3 was our Pamamanhikan! :)

It was, if I could say so, the easiest, lightest pamamanhikan in Philippine history. I was even nervous the night before, because of all the horror stories our friends told us about the dreaded event. But our version would probably be the lightest, most stress-free version of the tradition.

My meeting with Babe the night before the event was even more serious than the event itself!

It was fun, the food was great, the conversation was light. My parents were such gracious hosts! Papa tried to chat up every single member of Babe's family, which is a big deal, because usually my dad just goes down for a while then stays in his office every time there is a party in the house. But he sat there and talked to them while the dining room was being set. Of course, Mama made each one very comfortable like she always do. Babe's family was quiet, but very pleasant. They were on time and very well-prepared.

When the food was ready, we all proceeded to the dining area to have lunch. Papa led us all into prayer. It was short but really good. What do you expect? I got my impromptu speech and writing skills from him.

After lunch where we everyone casually chatted, Babe and I called the meeting to order. Its so like me to call everyone to their places so that we could get the agenda moving. As to be expected from this O.C. Bride, we prepared a script that I asked Babe to discuss. And as to be expected from my ever-charming groom, he brought the laughter to the table. The talk about the wedding was brief; I guess its because almost everything has been taken cared of (by Babe and I) and they didn't have to worry about anything. Plus the fact that we have a mind of our own and they don't have much say about the matter. It helped that they were all open-minded too. As long as we're happy, everybody's happy. I hope everyone had fun.

My brothers sure did. At first they were shy around Babe's family, but they loosened up eventually, even oversharing about me. All my silly quirks, my embarrassing habits, all exposed for Babe's family. They even said that they already traded me for Babe's PS3 games and a controller. In my defense, Papa said some good things about me as well, but mostly about their happiness that I was bringing a good man into the family. More embarrassing stories about me and more praises for Babe. Hahaha.

What made me happiest though is that Babe came very well-prepared. I saw three or four long-sleeves in the car, because he might need to change into something more formal. He arrived later than his family because he bought flowers for me. Its because it was our fifth anniversary; we celebrated it by having the pamamanhikan. I loved that he bought me flowers. It was really sweet , because even on our fifth year when we have gotten so comfortable with each other, he still knows what will make my day and he made an effort to make me smile. I love him to pieces. How did I get so lucky? :)

And so, with that tradition done and they have formally asked for my hand in marriage, we're even more excited for the big day and our family shares that excitement with us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment