Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Scare

A week before the wedding, Babe and I agreed that we would not be seeing each other until the day itself. To spend more time with our families and to build up on the excitement. From the time we parted on our last night, we really held up to our deal, and even if we were at the same places (happened many times), with the help of our friends, we managed to not see each other despite close calls.

But of course, being the OC bride that I am, I gave him his schedule on the day, and reminded him of the time he should leave from the hotel and proceed to the church. I had a different plan for him on how to spend his last days as a single guy, but I let him be. Especially since the whole gang (the boys) were already at the hotel the night before. They were doing the programme, taking care of the details, while watching the Finals of the NBA series Lakers vs. Boston Celtics on the morning of the wedding. I was already in relaxed bride mode, so I trusted him and our friends that everything was under control.

We were calling and texting in the morning, but after lunch, it was crazy busy. There were so many people in our suite and as soon as I got dressed, the pictorial started. Time flew by so quickly and before I knew, it was three o'clock, and we needed to go down and head to the church. The photographers and our coordinator-friends made sure that we wouldn't see each other on the way down to the hotel, so they told me to wait until Babe has already left the building. I was even left with one of the videographers for a few minutes, until we heard that the groom has already left and we can already go down.
And so we were there at the lobby, which was really small, it would be impossible for us not to see each other in case he's still there.

So I was sitting there with my parents, waiting for our car that would bring us to the church. And then I noticed. His friends was still there, his family was still there. I specifically told him that they should be at the church by 3pm.

But more than that, I realized, if they were still all there, to whom did the groom ride with on his way to the church? And then I noticed, they were all going up and down the building. His best men were still there with their wives. I saw his parents, his mom greeted me and said I looked beautiful. So... if the groom was not with the people that he was supposed to be with, then, WHERE IS THE GROOM?!

I started to panic, as they were all asking each other where Babe was. Each of them thought he was with the other. They said they left him at the car to wait, as they picked up the other friends, but when they got to the car, he wasn't there, and the key wasn't there. So they lost the groom. Our on-the-day coordinator, who is also one of our closest friends, must have noticed that I was aware of what was happening. She came up to me and reassured me that everything was under control. I managed to smile, but nervous drops of sweat trickled down my face.

What followed could have been the longest 10 minutes of my life. I was worried about Babe. For a few minutes, I contemplated on whether he has gotten cold feet. Did he change his mind and run away? But I know Babe won't do that. He's not a coward and he loves me. And then, I thought, what if something bad happened to him? What if he was kidnapped as part of an insensitive joke? What if he was abducted(yes, me and my crazy imagination)? In my mind, I was already praying... "Lord, as long as he is safe..." and I was already starting to tear up. But I knew it would ruin my makeup and we don't want any more delays now, don't we? So I just continued to pray.

And then after what has been a nervewracking moment for me, they found him. At the empty lot beside the building. Contemplating. Sure and ready as ever. And I uttered a prayer of thanks. They made their way to the church and soon after, we did too. I was happy again :)

At the church, when it was finally my turn to walk down the aisle, I saw my groom, the love of my life, teary eyed as he approached me. The look on his face was priceless.

When we were walking, I also broke into tears. I told him that he scared me a while ago, when he was nowhere to be found.

Later on, I learned that he didn't know people were looking for him. Our photographer, Sir Jeff, told him to hide, as I was already on my way down. He didn't have time to tell any one of his companions where he was going. He was hiding in the bushes. Typical Babe. Doing what was unexpected, not knowing that I was going crazy and being upset. But I love him, even when he's like that. And typical me. Worrying about him, even when there is no need to. And he loves me, because I'm like that.







1 comment:

  1. Hi Cams, would you be kind to share to me the map you used for Holy Family Church? Im having a hard time making one for my wedding. Hope you can send it at krwabinga@yahoo.com

    Super Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete